Newton-Conover City Schools is monitoring information regarding the coronavirus through information provided by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction, Catawba County Health Department, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and other state health agencies.
What we know at this point is that one reported case of the virus has been diagnosed in the Wake County area of North Carolina.
Newton-Conover City Schools staff is taking preventive measures to keep our students as safe as possible. Those include: sharing medical updates with school nurses, using appropriate cleaning products and disinfectants within schools, and ensuring that surfaces in our buildings are being cleaned frequently. Additional discussions with students will occur about the seriousness of the virus and the importance of practicing preventive measures prescribed by leading authorities on the topic.
As an additional preventative measure, all staff, students, and visitors to our buildings are encouraged to do the following:
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly using soap and water.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue into the trash and wash your hands.
- Remain home if you have a temperature of 100.4 or greater, and remain home until you have been fever-free for 24 hours without taking fever-reducing medications.
- Use the appropriate EPA-registered disinfectants on surfaces that come in frequent contact with others, such as doorknobs, table tops, electronics, light switches.
Newton-Conover City Schools will continuously monitor the situation and consider the safety and welfare of its students and staff in any measures that need to be taken. We will be attending a Coronavirus forum hosted by Catawba County Public Health and Catawba County Emergency Services early next week. The purpose of the meeting will be to receive updates on the virus, engage in discussions with medical providers and obtain further prevention tips for the virus. We will continue to communicate in the coming days as updates are made available.